If you do use Facebook, you will know how increasingly tricky the advertising is becoming. If you pay for those ads as a business, you may notice how increasingly effective those ads are becoming. It doesn’t take a genius to correlate the two.
- The PEW Research Centre reports that Facebook has a global audience of approximately 1.5 billion people – around one- fifth of the entire planet’s population, give or take a few hundred million
- That same report states 70 percent of U.S. Facebook users access the site daily, of which 43 percent do so multiple times per day
- 82 percent of the highly coveted 18-29-year-old demographic are among the most actively engaged Facebook users
- 727 million people refrain from accessing Facebook from a desktop, meaning the site has one of (if not the) the largest mobile-exclusive monthly user bases of any site in the world
Why Facebook advertising may not be working for you
According to the Harvard Business Review, social media has decreased the significance of brand. Branding and culture are interlinked, but what happens when the culture changes? Social media culture is created and sustained by its users, and brands are constantly playing catch up to stay relevant.
When it comes to the ad itself, here are some common mistakes people make:
- They are surrounded by more relevant content to their lives such as posts from friends or interests are almost always more relevant. The golden rule; don’t interrupt what people want to see, be what people want to see.
- Failure to retarget – Add a tracking pixel to ensure that your web traffic and Facebook views are linked, targeting people who know your brand.
- Attempt a different ad format – With around fifteen different kinds of Facebook advertising available, you should be experimenting to find what works best.
- Try micro-targeting – Facebook is excellent at capturing different events, target your copy to be very specific where relevant to your product. This method is being used in some very large strategies.
- Strive for more accurate reporting – Include a link to a specific landing page to record conversion events with Google Analytics effectively.
Mobile app install ads
Remember how many users we mentioned are mobile in the introduction? It makes sense that you have an app, and if you do, Mobile App Install Ads through Sponsored Stories are essential.
Click-through numbers via Sponsored Stories on mobile devices are roughly twelve times higher than desktop. This is also a cheaper form of advertising and gets your app onto consumers phones.
Ad types and benefits
|Right column Ad||
|Desktop news feed||
Consider the design
Making sure the design element of your Facebook advertising is crucial considering the visual aspect of the platform. We recommend testing some different designs to see which one has the most impact before settling on a long-term theme. There are several tricks for you to consider, like buyer personas and social proofs. The key to finding the right one is making sure your designer understands your product and business.
Always include call-to-actions and use imagery that stands out over the barrage of the news feed. Be consistent, aim for people’s emotions and above all, make sure you have the correct advertisement in the right place. It sounds daunting, but we are here to help with all of these things, contact us today to ensure your Facebook advertising dollars don’t go to waste.